Holidays
In a comment, Elizabeth’s friend Denise asked if Elizabeth would come up to snow country and help her organize her stuff and enjoy the snow. Let me tell you an Elizabeth snow story. There is an area not far from our house that is called the Boardwalk. I am not sure how to describe it. It is a combination amusement park and restaurant area. There a number of rides, shops and of course restaurants. There must be a dozen of all kinds. It is located on the shore of Galveston Bay and there is of course a boardwalk along the water’s edge. Elizabeth and I were driving and heard an ad that they had 600 pounds of snow. Elizabeth has never lived anywhere that gets significant snow so she was all excited and wanted to go. She dreamed of making a snow man and having a snow ball fight. I grew up in upstate New York along the shore of Lake Ontario. I also went to college in Boston and have lived in Chicago and 4 winters in Bismarck North Dakota. I know snow. I tried to explain to Elizabeth that 600 pounds was not very much snow. Also it would not be real snow but rather ground ice like you get in a snow cone. But off we went. I am sorry to say she was disappointed with her snow experience. I would also point out we do on rare occasion get snow in Houston. In fact last winter we had two measurable snow falls. Several years ago we woke to find we had a white Christmas. But I must admit I like the snow we get here. Typically by noon the temperature was climbed back into the 50s or 60s and the snow is just a wet spot on the driveway. No shovels required. So I guess the answer the question, no thank you to the visit to the tundra.

This does bring to mind a question I have asked before. I am not sure if I blogged about it. Does a person who grew up in the south really understand Christmas carols? Do they really know what it means for the horse to know the way to pull the sleigh? Also if we have chestnuts roasting on the open fire we will also have to have the AC running to cool the house off. While this area has many wonderful holiday traditions, they all seem to lack something.

Speaking of holiday traditions, Elizabeth and I are going to work hard to make this a wonderful holiday season starting with Halloween. Actually the holiday season starts next Tuesday as it is someone’s birthday.


2 Comments:

Blogger Denise said...

Well I'm continuing to clean the garage with my husband since it doesn't sound like snow is Elizabeth's cup of tea, LOL. Interesting thoughts on the Christmas carols, I couldn't imagine what Christmas would be like without cold weather and snow. I did visit Florida one year in early December and it was strange seeing Christmas decorations with such warm temperatures!

Anonymous Anonymous said...

We have lived in many places (because of the Air Force). When we first moved here in Mississippi our kids kept asking when was it going to snow. Our previous base had been Utah where we got tons of snow. We are used to the mild winters now and I don't miss shoveling at all!
Glad you are feeling better:)

Post a Comment

Home