Ouch
Today I had a new experience that I truly hope I do not have to have again.  I had a prostrate biopsy.  Several months ago I had my annual physical and although I am 58 years old this is the first time my doctor recommended a PSA test.  The results were high.  Since at the time I was in a very active colitis flare, he repeated the test with the same results.  So he recommended a prostrate biopsy.  At the time I was taking steroids to try to control the colitis so I had to wait until I was done with them before I had the procedure.  To prepare I started taking antibiotic yesterday.  Apparently the antibiotic is not as effective if combined with steroids.  In fact there are a number of things I can’t take with them including dairy product.  Actually I can have dairy it is just I have to wait 2 hours after taking the medicine to eat or wait 6 hours after eating dairy to take the medicine.  Since I have to take two pills a day it makes planning meals an even bigger challenge.  But my little nurse does a great job, as always.  I am so lucky.  So today was the big day with the procedure scheduled for 1 PM.  I got up early but decided not to ride my bike.  Around 8 Elizabeth got up and we had breakfast.  I had pancakes.  After that I showered and we were off to run a couple of errands.  We got home and I had a light lunch of peanut butter and jelly sandwich.  Then I was off.  The clinic is located on the other side of the city so I had a bit of a ride.  I got there and checked in.  After going through the normal blood pressure and pulse routine it was time to prepare.  First I got a shot in the butt of additional antibiotic.  Then the doctor came in and the real fun started.  I’ll skip the details but he put a pretty big probe where the sun does not shine.  In spite of having a local anesthesia, it was quite painful.  He took a total of 12 samples.  It was all over in about 10 minutes.  Once it was over I felt pretty good.  So off I went for home.  As I drove the anesthesia wore off.  By the time I got home I was in quite a bit of pain.  Even now, some 5 hours later I still hurt.  Elizabeth did make it clear she was NOT going to kiss it to make it better.  So now we wait.  We should have results in 10 to 14 days.


4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Good luck, Dave. Jagoda from UK

Blogger Debbie J said...

Ouch! Definitely not a fun day. Best of luck for good results!

Blogger Unknown said...

I will be praying for you and that the results will be normal.. Lisa

Anonymous Anonymous said...

No, that doesn't sound like fun. Your sense of humor helped you get through this!
Praying for everything to be ok

Post a Comment

Home