Sunday Sept 20 update
We continue to move towards a normal life. I am not sure our new normal will be the same as the old normal. I am certain we will not be so blasé about hurricanes. We will also have a greater appreciation for things we use to take for granted. Yesterday we were at a local grocery store when all the lights flashed. Everyone in the store froze to see if they would come back on.

Elizabeth has the house pretty much back to normal. The pantry and refrigerator are pretty much stocked. The only thing we really lack are frozen foods. They have not yet been available at the grocery stores but should be in the next few days. All the laundry is done and the house is clean. Our kitchen floor is still a mess but the flooring people will be here Monday to put down the new floor. I was suppose to return to work that day but will have to stay home so I can move the appliances out of the way.

The yard is pretty much cleaned up. There are huge piles of debris everywhere. I will be glad when the city gets those removed. I think everyone will feel better once that is done.

I have the supplies I need to replace the section of fence between the house and the garage. I set the post yesterday afternoon. The cement should be set today so I can finish that job. I also will replace the sheet rock today. We need to have that done before the floor is put down. We will not have it finished and painted. That will be done after the floor is down.

Driving around is still a challenge and requires more patience. In our area less than half of the street lights works. Even in areas that have power the lights only flash red. At major intersections lines always develop as people wait to stop and go. That is most people. There are still a few jerks that seem to think they are more important than anyone else and that rules do not apply to them. Actually I prefer major intersections. Since there is almost always a line of cars so people know they are suppose to stop At some of the minor intersections, people will just blow through. It may be that the arms for the lights have been blow away so they do not realize they are suppose to stop. I dread Monday when a lot of people will be on the road trying to get back to work or school.

But all in all we were very blessed that our damage was a light as it was and that life has gotten back to normal as soon as it has. There are some places like Galveston that are still abandoned. We watch little television. That is for two reasons. First the cable connection is still not very good. But second there is too much very negative news. They keep going over the same depressing stuff again and again. After a while it starts to wear you down.

I am not sure what challenges today will bring but I know we will get through them.


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Home